DamienLovecraft

theguywhoreads

When I pick a book up, I am travelling to a distant place and some times I become one of the characters in a book. My love for stories are the ones that begin and end where fiction is more honest than reality.

I Liked My Life
Abby Fabiaschi
Progress: 81/272 pages

When The One We Love Hurts Us The Most

— feeling sad
It Ends with Us: A Novel - Colleen Hoover

There is no such thing as bad people. We are all just bad people who do bad things.

This review contain spoilers. If you haven't read the book, please do not read BEYOND THIS sentence.

It took me a while to finished this book due to workload but I have no regrets taking my time to read IT ENDS WITH US. It is my first Colleen Hoover's novel as well and despite so much criticism about her other books, I took a chance with this because I heard so many good things about it.

I never regret one bit.

First - it's not a romance story. Yes, even the title sounds like it is. Its a fictional contemporary book focus on one theme - domestic abuse. We all know and come to know by reading news articles or heard from close friends about it. As it goes, this is not a straight-forward kind of story. Like its quote:

"There is no such thing as bad people. We are all just people who do bad things".

I finally understood what it means and held me there. As Colleen Hoover puts it - this novel is unlike any of her novels at all. Yes, there is romance involve, rekindling of lost love but what it focus is domestic abuse. As I read Part One of the book, I felt how relationships were reflected in today's modern society but towards the end of that part, it hold my breath thinking why people would divorce and I finally understood. Part Two took every thing from me. My emotions were in a knot and it was then I knew, this has become one of my favorite reads for 2016. There is progression of characters between Lily Bloom and Ryle Kincaid. There is a part where Atlas Corrigan exist in this world that nobody understood why they let go to the ones they love the most. Their relationship between all characters has come to an important point of living their lives to some thing more important - their children. To end the cycle of abuse by making a choice that ends the cycle. Its never about closure... its about decide to make it right for the future.

I know I have given a 4 out of 5 star but to me, its a 4.5 out of 5. It has every thing that covers much of the topic itself, but that extra 0.5 was not given likely because I didn't felt the way I feel to other books. But this is one of my favorite reads for 2016 and I would recommend anyone to read this.