DamienLovecraft

theguywhoreads

When I pick a book up, I am travelling to a distant place and some times I become one of the characters in a book. My love for stories are the ones that begin and end where fiction is more honest than reality.

Light
Michael Grant
This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity)
Victoria Schwab
The Bird's Nest
Shirley Jackson
Progress: 108/272 pages
The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
Coleman Barks, Rumi
Progress: 53/206 pages

A Melancholy Short Ghost Stories...

Wailing Ghosts (Little Black Classics #07) - Pu Songling

... revealing great shining fangs more than three inches long.

It was Halloween and in a short notice, I wanted to read ghost stories. This was in my hand quite some time ago and I thought I give this a try, skip the rest of the volumes to read Pu Songling's Wailing Ghosts. Turns out... this is more of a melancholy tale of old folk's urban legend of the supernatural.

There are 14 short stories in total, not every single one of them is a good read. A few have ambiguous endings, some were lessons and the rest were... well, interesting. I myself love Butterfly because it reminds me of an old 1980s Hong Kong film A Chinese Ghost Story... just the essence of it. The rest can pass off as some thing where you heard it from some where but as urban myths. Of its entirety, I think Pu Songling was a better storyteller rather than a writer of stories, if you get my meaning.