DamienLovecraft

theguywhoreads

When I pick a book up, I am travelling to a distant place and some times I become one of the characters in a book. My love for stories are the ones that begin and end where fiction is more honest than reality.

The Thief (Queen's Thief)
Megan Whalen Turner
Progress: 80/320 pages
Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel
Fredrik Backman
Progress: 248/336 pages

Multiverse - One At A Time...

Ten Thousand Skies Above You (Firebird) - Claudia Gray

Whoa... what a trip! Claudia Gray has cover almost every single question there is to know or understand in A Thousand Pieces of You. What started as a journey of revenge turn into a multi-dimensional jumping across the universe to discover love has become a science fiction young adult romance with more twist and turns to a point unexpectedly ends with a cliffhanger. The shivers that came with this unexpected ending is just what is needed for turning this Firebird trilogy into a television series.

As it begins, we see our protagonist (Marguerite & Paul), once more, travel to other dimensions to save their friend Theo from an unexpected side effects of Nightthief (when the 'other' version of Theo took over his body) by finding a cure. What happens later Paul was splintered into four other dimensions and Wyatt Conley (the main villain) make a deal with Marguerite in order to save Paul's soul, she will help Conley to sabotage and destroy all Firebird technology that was discovered in other dimensions. As she travel, what she herself discover of her love for Paul questions her love for him and other versions of Paul.

Sequels are a tricky thing - it either grabs you and lose you when you begin to read. A season reader will have more expectations than those aren't. There are twist that surprises me, some were quite unexpected that do questions Marguerite's faith on Paul. While Claudia Gray description of other dimensions and theories of similarities are logical, I do feel there are one too many times recaps repeated in the book. Nevertheless, it was not formulated and it is slightly better than the first book and of course, until that "twist" in the end, that held me abound and crave for more

Claudia Gray has created some thing what was a favorite concept of mind but what was good in the first book, has step up a little higher for the sequel. While I can say it is bias of this review because I love Quantum Leap and Sliders, the Firebird trilogy able to quench my thirst for more what I loved from both TV series. I do hope in the third and final book she will do away a lot of recap repeats in the book as it does hinder the fun in reading. This is so far a worthy sequel of the first.