DamienLovecraft

theguywhoreads

When I pick a book up, I am travelling to a distant place and some times I become one of the characters in a book. My love for stories are the ones that begin and end where fiction is more honest than reality.

Naked at Lunch: The Adventures of a Reluctant Nudist
Mark Haskell Smith
Progress: 170/310 pages

How Many Times Can You Lose the Person You Love?

The Next Together - James Lauren Bickford

"Next time, we're moving somewhere hot and quiet before any of this happens,"

Time travel stories are a dime a dozen. When I picked up The Next Together by Lauren James (her debut book), it was on a whim of a simple 3 line plot. I never thought it was so much more after I read it last year and now re-reading again this year!

Here's a short summary: Kate Finchley and Matt Galloway are destine to meet. Each time they meet, they were tragically destine to separate... in three different timelines. What happens if the next time they meet, they will decide to control their present, future and their past lives? What I love about this book is not just the science fiction of time travel and reincarnation of meeting past lives, but the romance between the two protagonist that had me going. The dialogue is witty, funny and the exchange between the characters is realistic. Not to mention, there is a unique part of this book besides the text print - there are other images included like letters, maps, website screen capture and more that makes the reading more visual for the reader to follow. Its also an easy read and easy to follow with three different timelines converging into one single story. What makes it even better, the execution is thrilling and mysterious as a bonus that makes you want to know more what is going on

While this is a duology series, yes the first book has many unanswered questions and ends with a cliffhanger. Anyone picks up the first book will probably have an unsatisfactory read due to some gaps in the story that needed answers. No worries - the release of The Last Beginning is available for pick up to complete the series. I do hope it does answer all questions but some how reading the first prologue of The Last Beginning, I am happy to say its on a good start. Lauren James debut book has a promising start with this book. It's fresh, different and clear in writing the story. I am looking forward to any books she will be writing in the future.