DamienLovecraft

theguywhoreads

When I pick a book up, I am travelling to a distant place and some times I become one of the characters in a book. My love for stories are the ones that begin and end where fiction is more honest than reality.

A Conjuring of Light
V E Schwab
Progress: 48/624 pages
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry: A Novel
Fredrik Backman
Progress: 106/400 pages

A Beautiful Tale of Counting by 7s

Counting by 7s - Holly Goldberg Sloan

There is so much to talk about Counting by 7s that for a middle-grade book, there is philosophy that can't be ignored. This is a story of a gifted girl named Willow Chance that has a significant character of 7s and has a way about herself that nobody understood her. Adopted by foster parents - tragedy strikes and she was left alone in a world that devastated her to a world of uncertainty and not knowing what to do. Along the way, she met flawed characters - her guidance counselor Dell Duke, a teenager girl name Mai, her brother Quang-Ha and mother Pattie and a Mexican taxi driver name Jairo. The loss of her foster parents changed her but the people she meet along the way make her a better person. It's a story that is witty, quirky and funny. There is drama, adventure and a little bit of suspense. Its the slice of life about... well, life and how we deal with personal loss and foster care. About the unknown certainty and the fear of moving forward...

... and what we never expect happen and what we expected, never do.

I truly enjoy the details and the specific grooming of each character that is significant on its own. The development is so individualistic, Holly Goldberg Sloan did a good job in creating unique flawed characters of acceptance and the important lessons of accepting people. Even a cat named Cheddar that only appear 10% of the book memorable. What I enjoy is how it brings out certain emotions when I read. Its not easy to laugh just by reading and I did mention before in previous reviews of books I read, its not easy to make me laugh and it did. There is so much that I do agree in what was said there. The book is almost perfect but there were a few chapters I felt it does drag a little, otherwise it would have been a good rating of five star. What was, to me, a let down was the closure that does not seem realistic. It does falter a little in the ending but overall, its the kind of story that I like about and its pretty well-done in the character department.

I am surprise middle-grade books these days are so well-written and its meant for those age group. For me, as an adult I find the appeal can also be read to older readers because its relaxing and fun to read. The chapters are well divided and given attention to and for me, I like how its done. Books like this should not be ignored, its meant to be read in any age.