DamienLovecraft

theguywhoreads

When I pick a book up, I am travelling to a distant place and some times I become one of the characters in a book. My love for stories are the ones that begin and end where fiction is more honest than reality.

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
Stephen King
Progress: 227/528 pages

A Classic Meant To Be Read By Everyone.

Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes

There are books that are recommended its a must read before we die. Flowers for Algernon is one of those books everyone should read. When I pick this up, I never thought it would change the way I view how people are in their own state through a perspective of intelligence. This truly change my way of seeing things now.

Written in a journal format, we read progress reports of one Charlie Gordon. He's exceptionally low intelligent person, who works as a cleaner in a bakery shop. As the story unfolds, we learn much about the people he meet along the way - Dr. Strauss and Prof. Nemur, whom is in charge of the experimental surgery; Alice Kinnian, a teacher for special kids who is the love of his life and Algernon, the mouse that is so smart became his one and only friend to Charlie. As months went by, we see changes in his behavior and personality and soon, Algernon starts to deteriorate. So does Charlie.

Its a journey reading this classic, one I never thought can be so uplifting but sad as well. I know what it means to be intelligent and on a certain level as well but for what is on the upside, there is always a downside to it. This book shows it really well in reality. It does makes a point of how people are today. The plot is well crafted and easy to follow. The writing is well thought of and we can read the changes of the report as if its truly real written by Charlie himself. And then, there are parts that pointed how people are (selfish, egoistic, pessimism) and Charlie isn't. It was so well-developed, even the characters are to be remembered. While for me, it is sad as I read it and towards the end, it ends with a heartfelt feeling of kismet and we can never outrun fate. For me, its the meaning that is well-research for this book. Its also a book of realization.

I know this review might be slightly off, but I just can't seem to find the right words for it. But I do want to say that everyone should read this book.